We all keep hearing about target exercises to eliminate problem areas, but did you know that there is no such thing as “spot” workouts? Where and how your body loses fat has more to do with your genetics than with that weekly trip to the swimming pool for a leisurely lap. Here are some moves though, that you can be used to literally kill two birds with one stone.
Triceps Dip and Leg Raise
- Sit at the edge of a chair or a bed.
- While supporting your body with your palms, move off the surface.
- Bend your knees at 900.
- Go down into a dip by bending your elbows as your lower body goes down.
- Come back up and extend your right leg forward.
- Now, go down into a dip as you raise your right leg up.
- Come back up and do 20 repetitions on each side.
Front Plank Reach and Side Twist
- Go down into a plank position, supporting your body with your forearms and toes.
- Face forward and reach out straight as if to punch with your right arm. Then do the same with your left arm.
- Twist your hips down and to your right and then to your left, that is all one count.
- Do 30 repetitions of this.
Step Up Touch Up
- Stand next to a step/stair or a raised surface.
- Step up and down with both feet, one after the other, right-left-right-left.
- As you do this, extend your arms straight up and back down to the shoulder level, up-down-up-down.
- Maintain a straight back and face forward and ensure that the whole of your foot touches the ground.
- Do this for 3 sets of 60 seconds each.
Lunge and Double Dumbbell Punch
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Hold two dumbbells in your hands, just about your shoulders, palms facing down.
- Move your right leg forward and bend at your knee with your left leg going down and punch forward with the dumbbells.
- Come back up to starting point.
- Lunge again as above, this time on your left and do 15 repetitions on each side.
- Ensure that your knee doesn’t go beyond your toe and that your hands are moving forward in a straight plane in line with your shoulders.
Squat and Triceps Kick Back
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and hands on your side.
- Hold two equal-sized dumbbells with your elbows tucked into the sides of your waist.
- Go down into a squat as if to sit into a chair, pushing your hips back, then bending your knees.
- As you squat, bring the dumbbells up as if to touch your shoulders.
- Come back up to stand and extend your forearm backwards by pushing the weight with your triceps. That is one count.
- Do 30 repetitions of this as you ensure that your knees don’t go beyond your toes and your elbows stay close to your waist.